Belfry 101 in the Nations
Belfry 101 in the Nations : 2019 Pilot Program
BUILDING CONFIDENCE. IGNITING CREATIVITY.
Belfry 101 in the Nations is a series of free introductory theatre workshops equipping youth with the skills to express themselves through writing and performance. This exciting pilot project brings the principals of the Belfry’s Belfry 101 program to the youth of the W̱SÁNEĆ communities ages 11+.
The program runs from 5-7pm and is free for all participants. It is part of the Tsawout Nation’s youth programming. The program includes a meal provided by Tsawout Nation at 5pm and a theatre workshop from 5:30 -7:00pm.
Workshop sessions will include:
- Theatre games, warm-ups and team-building exercises
- Exploration of performance (physical theatre, story-telling, mask, playwrighting, etc.).
- Collaboration, creation, and presentation in response to the skills offered in the workshops.
Kristy Charlie, Indigenous Cultural Advisor
Jonathan Brower, Education Coordinator
Special Guest Artists
For more information about the program, please contact Education Coordinator, Jonathan Brower (250) 661-0075
The Belfry Theatre and staff respectfully acknowledge that this program will take place on the Traditional Territory of Tsawout First Nation.
The Tsawout Nation has generously donated their space and provided meals for each session. We are thankful to Tsawout for hosting and allowing us to offer this six-week theatre program to the WSÁNEĆ communities. During our visits, we pledge to honour our responsibility to your land with respect, empathy, strength, pride and equality.
This pilot project is intended to lay the groundwork for future Belfry 101 in the Nations programs involving all four of the WSANEĆ Nations: the Tsawout, Pauquachin, Tsartlip and Tseycum Nations.
This pilot program takes inspiration and form from:
- The Belfry’s overall commitment to Indigenous programming, training, relationships with the Nations, and support for the youth of those Nations.
- The presence of Kristy Charlie on the Belfry staff, the Belfry’s Indigenous Cultural Advisor. Kristy serves as an ambassador and a bridge between the Belfry and the Nations.
- 20 seasons of facilitating Belfry 101, which has evolved over the years to focus more on the development of inter-personal skills and self-awareness in the individual students.
Belfry 101 in the Nations is supported by