Job Posting – Production & Operations Manager
Date posted: March 12, 2019
The Belfry Theatre is south Vancouver Island’s largest professional theatre. We produce contemporary adult theatre with a focus on new and recent Canadian work. The company has been producing for 44 years and operates a 270-seat mainstage and 90 seat studio theatre from our renovated heritage building. Production operations are all in-house.
We produce 4-5 productions per season and present a further 4-6 productions. The Production and Operations Manager is responsible for the budgeting and managing of the production departments as well as management of facility operations and maintenance. Reporting jointly to the Artistic and Executive Directors, the position is part of the senior management team and plays a key role in the strategic advancement of the company and maintain a supportive and collaborative work environment.
This is a full-time position requiring current knowledge of production methods, technology and materials, strong personnel management skills, and excellent budgeting and reporting ability. A sense of humour and ability to maintain one in high stress production periods is also a significant asset. Excellent to exceptional knowledge of Excel worksheets and other MS programs, is required and a working understanding of network management is an additional asset. Knowledge of and or experience working with the CTA is preferred.
This is a salaried position with a minimum starting rate of $52,000/annum, contingent on experience and qualifications plus a full benefit package including a matching group RRSP.
The Manager works closely with a full-time team comprised of a Technical Director, Facilities Supervisor and Head Technician, plus a seasonal staff of Venue Technician, Head of Wardrobe, Head Shop Carpenter, Head of Props, Head scenic Artist, and Custodian. The manger is responsible for the scheduling and contracting of all Design, Stage-Management, and casual crew. They are also responsible for coordinating and contracting all facility rentals, maintenance contractors and any creative services offered by the company. A full job description is attached
Applicants for the position should send a cover letter and resume in doc, docx, or pdf formats only to:
with the subject line Production Manager
Applications close May 10th, 2019 unless a suitable candidate is not found.
We will contact all applicants to inform them of the status of their application. Unless selected for an interview – no calls please. Initial interviews for off Island applicants will be conducted by video call using Zoom or Skype.
PRODUCTION & OPERATIONS MANAGER
Reports to the Executive & Artistic Directors
- The execution of the artistic vision for the productions in a cost effective and efficient manner striving for excellence with the production values.
- Fiscal Management of the Production Budget and Production Capital Budgets.
- The management of facility operations and maintenance.
- Related activities as may be assigned.
- Creating & maintaining Production Budgets in excess of 1.1 million dollars.
- Organizing, creating, & coordinating Rehearsal & Production Schedules for 4-5 show Main stage season, and presentations of a further 4-6 productions.
- Coordinating schedules between different Production Departments.
- Hiring, scheduling, and supervising all Production personnel and crew.
- Negotiating and contracting all Design personnel, ADC and non-ADC
- Negotiating and contracting all Stage Management personnel, CAEA and non-CAEA.
- Organizing and maintaining all technical equipment and requirements of shows.
- Advancing and organizing load ins and strikes of shows.
- Organizing all air and ground freight transportation.
- Implementing and maintaining Health & Safety protocols and procedures.
- Rental coordination of both theatre, studios, lobby and equipment.
- Coordination and organization of special events within the company.
- Oversight of maintenance and theatre operations,
- Actively involved in formulating and managing budgets for and overseeing all Capital improvements taking place on the building.