Job Posting – Community Engagement and Education Manager
Date posted: July 24, 2018
The Belfry Theatre is seeking applicants for the position of Community Engagement and Education Manager.
Reporting jointly to the Artistic and Executive Directors, the position works closely with the entire team to effectively manage and build community outreach, audience engagement, audience development, and education activities and programs for the Belfry.
This is a full-time staff position responsible for:
- > existing audience engagement programs such as B4Play, Afterplay, and audience talkbacks
- > Content for the Belfry’s Upstage Magazine
- > accessibility initiatives such as VocalEye and relaxed performances
- > social media content related to the Belfry’s Community and Audience Engagement activities
- > collaborating with the Belfry’s Indigenous Cultural Liaison to strengthen relations with local and national Indigenous communities and artists
- > Belfry 101 – the Belfry’s program for secondary school students, including a collective creation built and performed during the Belfry’s annual SPARK Festival
- > collaborating with Box Office to increase student attendance
- > fostering relationships with local high schools and initiate creation of study guides
- > during the annual SPARK Festival: coordinate mini-plays, play readings, New Play Cabaret (in partnership with the University of Victoria), and professional development workshops
- > developing new programs to strengthen the Belfry’s connection to our community, enhance the Belfry’s strong audience engagement activities, and increase inclusiveness at the Belfry
- > coordinating and hosting community events, such as The Flame, and Booksmack (in collaboration with the Greater Victoria Public Library)
- > in conjunction with key senior staff, developing and advancing audience development initiatives.
The ideal candidate will have the following traits and qualifications:
- > a post-secondary degree or certificate or equivalent community engagement experience
- > excellent written and oral communication skills
- > a solid working knowledge of MS Office programs, and above average skills with web and social media content, creation, and editing
- > a love of the theatre and awareness of the Belfry’s programming activities
- > ease of meeting and communicating with a wide diversity of community members
Additional assets for the position include:
- > a solid knowledge of and/or relationship with Greater Victoria’s performing arts community
- > previous experience or a general understanding of BC’s current high school curricula
The position requires a mix of daytime, evening and weekend work hours, within a standard 40 hour work week.
Compensation for this position is negotiable based on experience; anticipated to be in the starting range of $40,000 per annum plus benefits. The Belfry offers a comprehensive benefits package and contribution to a group RRSP.
To apply send a cover letter expressing your interest in the position, and a resume outlining previous educational and work experience.
By Email (in pdf, doc or docx formats only) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please ensure the subject is: Community Engagement Application
By Post to: Belfry Theatre 1291 Gladstone Ave. Victoria BC V8T 1G5 attn. Community Engagement
Applications should be received no later than August 31st, 2018. We thank all applicants but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
From the Blog
2020 SPARK Festival Line Up
The AFC Benefit – Friday, February 7 at 8...
Early Closure – January 15
Black History Month Concert
Belfry Librarian – The Ministry of Grace
UVic Humanities Literacy Week Presents “Explained: Why white evangelical...
The Flame – An evening of true stories