Job Posting – Wardrobe Coordinator
Date posted: June 14, 2022
The Belfry Theatre is currently seeking submissions from qualified theatre professionals for the following position: Wardrobe Coordinator.
Reporting to the Director of Production and Operations, the Wardrobe Coordinator will be expected to facilitate and manage the costume realization process for the Theatre’s production of Intimate Apparel, written by Lynn Nottage and to be directed by Nigel Shawn Williams.
While under contract the day-to-day duties will include, but won’t be limited to working with designers, liaising with relevant departments to ensure communication of wardrobe and production needs, sourcing materials and inventories available for rent, overseeing and coordinating operations of the wardrobe, its equipment, supplies and inventory. Designs will be approved prior to the start of the contract with the intent to rent costumes appropriate for the 1905 period of the script. Most costumes are to be sourced prior to the start of the contract; however, some additional rentals may need to be sourced and some new builds are likely as an addition to making the necessary alterations on costumes previously secured by the Designer.
The successful candidate should be able to work independently under pressure as well as having the ability to work collaboratively and lead in a team environment.
- Strong experience in wardrobe in a professional performing arts organization.
- Experience and ability to perform major and substantial alterations.
- A broad range of experience and knowledge in all aspects of theatrical costume production techniques
- Knowledge and experience in machine and hand sewing techniques
- Knowledge of domestic and industrial sewing machines
- Must have strong time management, organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills
- Proficient computer knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and internet research
- A valid driver’s licence
- Demonstrated skill and experience in the following will be an asset: Cutting, Pattern making
Responsibilities and Duties:
Build period (August 8 – September 11):
- Identify need for additional support (stitchers, cutters, etc) from a casual hire crew
- Identify and budget hair and makeup requirements
- Research and sourcing (rentals, borrows, online shopping etc)
- Set up shopping/pull schedule with designer
- Performing alterations on period costumes from rented inventories
- Building new period costumes
- Set up fitting schedule with stage management including costume, hair and makeup
- Supervise contractors
- Manage work schedule
- actor requirements including quick-change modifications and maintenance as required
- Manage company purchasing and expense reconciliations
Tech Week/Opening week (September 12 – 22):
- Available for q-2-q, tech dress, first dress rehearsal, and previews
- Create paperwork (costume plot, laundry maintenance)
- Have all costumes available for Q-2-Q, tech dress, etc
- Costume maintenance (laundry) during tech period
- Address notes during tech period
This is a Temporary Contract position starting August 8 and ending on September 22, 2022; weekly salary based on $30.00 per hour and overtime is to be expected. The Theatre will provide travel and accommodations during the employment period
Please submit cover letter and resume by July 5, 2022 to:
Mike Ford, Director of Production and Operations
1291 Gladstone Avenue
Or by email to email@example.com:
Subject: Wardrobe Coordinator
Bury The Hatchet
The Belfry Theatre announces Phase 2 of the Arts...