Job Posting: Technical Director
Date posted: September 17, 2021
The Belfry Theatre is currently seeking submissions from qualified theatre professionals for the following position: Technical Director.
Reporting directly to the Director of Production and Operations, the Technical Director will be expected to facilitate and manage the scenic and technical elements for all produced shows: from preliminary and final designs through pre-production through to opening and closing wrap-up. The Technical Director will also be expected to, in conjunction with the Director of Production and Operations, help create and manage all Production Department budget lines. Day-to-day duties will include, but won’t be limited to working with designers, clients renting the facilities, liaising with relevant departments to ensure communication of production needs, sourcing materials, overseeing and coordinating operations of the scene shop and performance spaces, its equipment, supplies and inventory.
The successful candidate should be able to work independently under pressure as well as having the ability to work collaboratively and lead in a team environment.
* Strong experience in set and properties construction.
* Strong working knowledge in Theatre lighting and sound.
* Experience in a supervisory role directing employees in the Props and Scenery departments.
* Experience supervising stage crews
* Knowledge and experience running lighting and sound consoles are an asset.
* Must have strong time management, organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
* Proficient in AutoCAD creating construction drawings from design information.
* Proficient computer knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and internet research.
* A valid driver’s licence.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
For Belfry Productions:
* Cost materials and approve designs in collaboration with the Director of Production and Operations.
* Supervise the scenery and props departments during builds.
* Build scenery if needed.
* Attend rehearsals and production meetings as needed.
* Liaise with Stage Management and administration on relevant production matters
* Monitor the Production schedules with an emphasis on crew scheduling
* Act as Safety Officer in the maintenance of safety standards as per Theatre Occupational Health and Safety policy.
* Supervise installation of scenic and technical elements.
* Coordinate with the Lighting Technician to maintain accurate lighting documentation, paperwork, and backups.
* Ensure a smooth transition when operation is transferred to production running crew.
* Coordinate with all production departments to produce technical packages for touring and co-productions.
For rental and Belfry Ancillary Events:
* Liaise with event organizers to assess technical requirements.
* Liaise with internal departments to assess technical requirements for Belfry fundraisers and special presentations.
* Supervise setups of staging, lighting, and sound.
* Run lighting and sound if needed.
For Belfry Building Operations
* Assist Director of Production and Operations in addressing building repairs and capital enhancements.
* Ensure the care and maintenance of Theatrical equipment
This is a Full-Time permanent position starting October 15, 2021 (negotiable).
The Belfry offers a full benefits package included as part of the compensation. Salary is negotiable with a minimum starting salary of $55,000 per annum.
Please submit a cover letter and resume by October 1, 2021, to:
Mike Ford, Director of Production and Operations
1291 Gladstone Avenue
Or by email to email@example.com:
Subject: Technical Director
Annamaria Bamji Award for Emerging Playwrights
The New Incubator Project 2022 – Call for Submissions
Arts Leadership Participants
National Day for Truth and Reconciliation
Call for Submissions- We are casting the following role:
Presentation – Charitable Giving: Donating Appreciated Securities
The Healing Power of Arts – World Mental Health...